The Miami-Dade Transportation Planning Organization (TPO)
"Implementation of the SMART Plan and to provide reliable transportation and mobility choices while supporting sustainable, equitable, and livable communities.”
The Federal Aid Highway Act of 1962 mandated that as a condition for the receipt of federal funds, each urban area with a population over 50,000 in the United States was required to carry on a continuing, cooperative, and comprehensive transportation planning process.
The purpose of the mandate was to ensure that: 1) the transportation planning process remain a continuing effort responsive to land use and demographic changes, 2) participation be shared by all concerned, and 3) the transportation planning process be coordinated with other developmental urban planning aspects.
The Miami-Dade Transportation Planning Organization (TPO), formerly called the Metropolitan Planning Organization for the Miami Urbanized Area, guides the transportation planning process in Miami -Dade County. The TPO was created on March 2, 1977 as required under Section 163.01, Chapter 163, Florida Statutes, and established by Interlocal Agreement between Miami-Dade County and the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT).
A major role of the TPO is to ensure conformance with federal regulations requiring that highways, mass transit and other transportation facilities and services are properly developed and deployed in relation to the overall plan of urban development and to approve plans for regional and state transportation network accessibility. In addition, federal guidelines require that the use of Federal Aid for transportation be consistent with TPO endorsed plans and programs. Federal, state and local transportation planning funds are utilized on an ongoing basis to insure the effectiveness of the TPO process.
The FDOT adopts the TPO’s Long Range Transportation Plan (LRTP) as the plan for implementing transportation system improvements in Miami-Dade County. The LRTP is focused on providing mobility options, and is guided by a comprehensive vision to:
“Provide mobility options for Miami-Dade County residents and visitors and promote economic competitiveness by investing in the County’s transportation infrastructure while protecting the environment and maximizing the efficiency of the existing transportation system.”
The TPO Board meets monthly in the Miami-Dade County Commission Chamber. All meetings of the Governing Board are open to the public.
Table of Organization
The Miami-Dade Transportation Planning Organization consists of a Governing Board and administrative staff.
The Miami-Dade TPO has a staff of professionals who are collectively responsible for:
- Assisting the Miami-Dade TPO Governing Board.
- Developing the Long Range Transportation Plan (LRTP) that specifies needed transportation projects for twenty years.
- Compiling an annually updated Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) that lists projects selected from the LRTP to be implemented during a five-year cycle.
- Administering the activities defined with the Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP).
- Updating the Continuity of Operations Plan.
- Preparing the annual TPO Business Plan.
- Coordinating the activities of the Transportation Planning Council (TPC) and the various citizen advisory committees that advise the TPO Governing Board on various transportation matters.
- Assessing visual impacts and aesthetic quality of transportation projects.
- Administering the Bicycle Pedestrian Program.
- Facilitating public participation and the Title VI program.
- Ensuring that access to transportation is provided to disadvantaged persons.
- Preparing technical and policy studies, as necessary, in support of the metropolitan transportation program.
Public Records Requests
The Miami-Dade TPO’s Public Records Custodian is Ms. Zainab Salim, Clerk of the Board.
It is the policy of the Miami-Dade TPO that all public records requests comply with Florida’s Public Records Law, Chapter 119, Florida Statutes (F.S.) as follows:
- Miami-Dade TPO documents will be made available for inspection at any time, under reasonable conditions and under supervision of inspection by the TPO Clerk of the Board, or designee.
- It is the requestor’s responsibility to schedule an appointment time with the TPO Clerk of the Board, or designee, to review requested TPO documents.
- Requests for Confidential or Exempt records will be handled according to Section 119.07, F.S.
- If deemed applicable, copies of requested documents shall be furnished upon payment of fees prescribed by Section 119.07(4), F.S. and Miami-Dade County Administrative Order 4-48 (currently $.15 per single sided copy; no more than $.05 per double sided copy).
Requests can be made by:
- Telephone: 305-375-4507
- Email: Zainab.Salim@mdtpo.org
- Fax: 305-375-4950
- In person or in writing: Miami-Dade TPO, Attn: TPO Clerk of the Board, 150 West Flagler Street, Suite 1900, Miami, FL 33130
Doing Business with the Miami-Dade TPO
The Miami-Dade TPO utilizes the Miami-Dade County Procurement Management Services Division for the provision of goods and services. By utilizing technology and sound business processes, we strive to bring the greatest value and service to Miami-Dade County with integrity, fairness, competition and community inclusion.
The Miami-Dade TPO utilizes Miami-Dade County’s Human Resources job application process to fill vacant positions. Like the County, the Miami-Dade TPO is an equal opportunity employer for minorities and women, maintains an alcohol and drug-free workplace, and does not discriminate on the basis of disability.
For information on open positions, click to visit the Miami-Dade County Human Resources website.
TPO Logos for Download
The Miami-Dade TPO logo is available in various configurations and file formats.
Outlook Webmail Access for TPO Staff
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.