Unified Planning Work Program
The Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP) describes transportation planning priorities and activities managed by the Miami-Dade TPO. The program includes specific tasks for the TPO and our planning partners that will be performed every two years. Our current UPWP is being carried out from July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2024, and outlines the planning, projects, budget, and activities that support the comprehensive and multimodal transportation improvement program approved for Miami-Dade County.
Activities in the UPWP are completed in cooperation with various participating Miami-Dade County Departments, regional agencies, the Florida Department of Transportation and planning partners. This work is guided by policies of the State of Florida and the Miami-Dade TPO Governing Board.
Guidance from the Federal transportation agencies that support the program is also used as a significant element in the definition of planning projects. The UPWP includes a description of the planning work and resulting products, which agencies will perform the work, time frames for completing the work, the cost of the work, and the source of funds.
FYs 2023 & 2024 Unified Planning Work Program
The Miami-Dade TPO Governing Board adopted its FYs 2023 & 2024 Unified Planning Work Program on May 5, 2022 for tasks and activities to be carried out from July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2024. The final adopted document is included below:
Municipal Grant Program (MGP)
The Municipal Grant Program (MGP) is a competitive program that awards funds to Miami-Dade County municipalities for transportation planning studies that support the implementation of complete streets, first/last mile connections, connected and autonomous vehicles, transit supportive projects, and other priority projects that enhance connectivity, accessibility, and integration of the entire transportation network. Applications are submitted in December each year with recommended studies included in the Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP). The Miami-Dade TPO Board approved the following Municipal Grant Program (MGP) projects in May 2022:
- Doral Transportation Master Plan Update
- El Portal, NE 2nd Avenue Mobility Study
- Hialeah First-Last Mile Multimodal Access Study
- Key Biscayne - Crandon Boulevard Safety and Mobility Study
- Miami Trolley Fleet Vehicle Efficiency Plan
- Miami Shores Village Transportation Smart Plan
- Miami Springs Parking Analysis
- Palmetto Bay ADA & Sidewalk Safety Improvements – Phase 1
- Pinecrest – SW 82nd Ave, Complete Street Planning Project
On August 18th, 2022, the Miami-Dade TPO will host a virtual Municipal Grant Program Workshop to provide information to the above awarded recipients on the administration of the MGP.
Miami-Dade TPO Agreements
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) SERPM An agreement between the Miami-Dade TPO, Broward MPO, Palm Beach TPA and FDOT Districts 4 and 6 for the purpose of assigning roles and responsibilities and creating a decision making framework for future travel demand modeling tasks related to the Southeast Florida Regional Planning Model (SERPM). Executed on October 19, 2019.
- Management Agreement Services MOU Agreement between Miami-Dade TPO and Miami-Dade County for the purpose of utilizing county personnel to perform a substantial portion of each task necessary to carry out the transportation planning and programming process mandated by Federal regulations. Executed on July 1, 2013.
- Intergovernmental Coordination and Review (ICAR) Agreement between FDOT, Miami-Dade TPO, SFRPC, Miami-Dade County, SFRTA and MDX to have clearly defined, continuing, cooperative and comprehensive metropolitan transportation planning process. Executed on February 22, 2012.
- SEFTC Interlocal Agreement Creates the Southeast Florida Transportation Council to carry out Regional Transportation Planning and Coordination in South Florida region. Executed on January 9, 2006.
- Interlocal Agreement Creating Miami-Dade TPO To create and establish a Metropolitan Planning Organization and to confer upon it the power, authority and responsibility necessary to organize and structure itself in a manner most suitable for conducting a continuing, cooperative and comprehensive transportation planning process in cooperation with the Department of Transportation. Executed on March 2, 1977.
- Urban Transportation Planning Agreement Contract between FDOT and the Miami-Dade TPO to participate cooperatively in the performance of a coordinated, comprehensive transportation planning and programming process. Executed on March 2, 1977.
- Miami-Dade TPO By-Laws
To learn more about the Unified Planning Work Program please contact Francesca Taylor at (305) 375-1738 or Franchesca.Taylor@mdtpo.org.
Unified Planning Work Program PlansSelect Report:
FY 2021 and 2020 UPWP Updates
- Revision 1: (Modification) Miami-Dade TPO Task II Regional Item
- Revision 2: (Modification) Accommodate extraordinary items related to the COVID-19 pandemic and changes requested by FDOT to accommodate soft match
- Revision 3: (Modification) Disclose use of state funds to replace shortfall in funding as a result of state use of soft match for FTA 5305(d) Agreement
- Revision 4: (Amendment) Additional scope for transportation initiatives prioritized by TPO Task Forces
- Revision 5: (Modification) Identification of funds for DTPW Task Force Efforts
FY 2019 and 2020 UPWP Updates
- Revision 1: Amendment Task 5.3 SMART Plan Addition of Section 5305(d) Funds
- Modification 2: FTA 5305(d) Funds Task 5.3
- Revision 3: (Modification) PL Funds Various Tasks
- Revision 4: Amendment FY 2018 Carryover 5305(d) for Various Tasks
- Revision 5: Modification PL Funds Move in Task 1.3 from Salaries to Travel
- Revision 6: Modification PL Funds Move in Task 1.3 from ITD to Salaries
- Revision 7: Modificaiton PL Funds Move in Task 1.3 from ITD to Office Expansion
- Revision 9: Amendment Deoblogation of PL and SU Funds Forms 1 and 2
FY 2017 and 2018 UPWP Updates
- Revision 9: Amendment SU and PL De-obligation, May 30, 2018
- Revision 8: Amendment Task 1.4 TPO Legislative & Advocacy Services, May 29, 2018
- Revision 7: Amendment Task 4.1 2045 LRTP FY 2018 Section 5305(d) Addition of Funds, December 20, 2017
- Revision 6: Amendment Tasks 1.3 TPO Program Support, 5.2 Call for Ideas, 5.5 GPC and Deletion of Four Studies, October 10, 2017
- Revision 5: Modification Tasks 6.3 and 6.4, December 3, 2017
- Revision 4: Modification Task 2.1 Transportation/Land Use, January 23, 2017
- Revision 3: Modification Tasks 1.3 MPO Program Support and 6.3 SERPM Transfer of $83,333 to FDOT District IV, February 6, 2017
- Revision 2: Modification Task 5.15 SMART Plan Funds Reconciliation with Work Program, December 7, 2016
- Revision 1: Amendment Task 5.15 SMART Plan Funds Addition, November 28, 2016
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.